poi-user mailing list archives

From Peter Hansson <peterhansson...@yahoo.com.INVALID>
Subject Apache POI in Maven Central
Date Sat, 22 Aug 2015 20:18:10 GMT

I've run into a problem of how my IDE treats the javadoc secondary Apache POI artifact. (v3.12)

I've tracked the problem to being the fact that the Apache POI project - as the only project
I've ever encountered - publish their javadoc artifacts using plural spelling, i.e. "javadocs"
rather than "javadoc". As far as I can tell this is the source of problems with IDEs.
Let us revisit: The classifier string in Maven is just an arbitrary string. Strictly speaking
the Apache POI project is not violating any rules by using plural spelling here. It just happens
to be the contrary of what everyone else does. Just for comparison (I was afraid I was going
mad) I checked two other major Java projects, namely Netty and Apache Commons IO. They both
do the singular spelling ("javadoc"). The Apache POM reference does indeed mention that the
classifier is most often used for things like javadoc and sources and goes onto to saying
that "...you will notice that the classifiers sources and javadoc are used to deploy the project
source code and API docs along with the packaged class files.". Sure this is a convention,
not a must. Still.

I'm curious how this could ever happen? If one uses the Maven Javadoc plugin then I'm sure
it will use the classifier name "javadoc" by default when creating the javadoc artifact.
Anyway, just wanted to know if I'm completely on the wrong track here or if I should file
a bug ticket ??

Peter