poi-user mailing list archives

From Renjith R <ranju...@gmail.com>
Subject Fwd: Suggestion on how to read huge excel files.
Date Wed, 27 May 2015 13:28:48 GMT
Please see the trailing mails. Thought of sharing it with users too. Let me
know your suggestions.
---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: "Renjith R" <ranju4u6@gmail.com>
Date: 26 May 2015 19:50
Subject: Suggestion on how to read huge excel files.
To: <dev@poi.apache.org>

Hi Developers,

            I am Renjith. Recently I was working on an assignment where i
was assigned a task to read very big excel files[These excel files does not
contain images, all it has is pure text data]. I started with XSSFWorkbook
approach and came to know that it consumes more memory than i have. In
search of an alternative i ended up in the following link.
https://poi.apache.org/spreadsheet/how-to.html#xssf_sax_api

Being new to XML parser, i struggled to read excel using SAX. Even though
there are some examples, i don't find enough documents to understand the
structure of excel file & relation between various XMLs in excel file.
After so many trial and error, i read the excel file successfully.
http://www.coderanch.com/t/627617/open-source/POI-OutOfMemoryError-reading-big-excel

In order to reduce the effort of developers who face similar situation, i
created an API. It hides the complexity of understanding XML Parsing and
excel structure from developer. It is capable of reading only string data
from excel file, since it is meant to read huge excel data. Apart from
that, i used StAX instead of SAX to allow developer to control the
streaming of data.

I have attached a document that explains the things in detail. Requesting
you to go though it and let me know your thoughts.

--
*RENJITH R*
9446011990