poi-user mailing list archives

From Nick Burch <apa...@gagravarr.org>
Subject Re: POI RecordFormatException when reading XLS file
Date Mon, 04 Aug 2014 09:24:49 GMT
On Mon, 4 Aug 2014, Chris Bamford wrote:
> Good idea.  I ran the validator on the els file and it fails.  Not sure
> I understand all the details, though!  Here’s the output:
>
> <BFFValidation path="z:\Downloads\file.xls" datetime="08/01/14 16:58:33"
> result="FAILED">

This is the main bit - result=FAILED. Your file isn't a valid Excel file,
based on the spec

If Excel loads the file, then it probably isn't that far off. With the
file, we might be able to add a suitable workaround too. Without it,
you'll need to do that, and submit a patch! Start by identifying the
problem record (maybe with BiffViewer), then look at the hex dump of the
stream (POIFSViewer) and compare that with the file format docs
([MS-XLS].pdf) to see where it differs

Nick