poi-user mailing list archives

From Nick Burch <apa...@gagravarr.org>
Subject Re: HSSF memory use
Date Wed, 14 May 2014 16:26:04 GMT
On Wed, 14 May 2014, Randall Davis wrote:
> Recently I've run into memory issues because each spreadsheet produced
> seems to permanently consume ~3MB of memory, and now that I've got more
> than a thousand data files to process (and the same number of xls files
> to produce), I'm running out of memory. In principle I can do 500 files
> at a time I suppose, but there are a variety of reasons why it's much
> easier to do them all in one pass.

As long as you're closing the output streams and input streams, and not
holding references to anything in maps / lists / etc that you don't null /
clear, memory should be released after a few GC runs.

I can only suggest you check you're not accidently keeping references to
objects in maps / other functions / caches / etc.

Otherwise you'll need to dust off a profiler or similar, and use that to
track down where the memory is going and what kinds of things it's going
on

Nick