poi-user mailing list archives

From 門脇 功 <isao...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: verifyPassword returns false when opening an protected Excel 2003 file
Date Wed, 05 Mar 2014 11:03:57 GMT
Hi, Andi,

Thank you so much for your prompt response.
I'm very surprising, but I was able to open the Excel file with password "VelvetSweatshop"!

How should I inform this information to my customers? I'm afraid many users do not know this
information.
The URL you told me is very useful, but do you know there is any official annnoucement from
MicroSoft?
Or, is there any notice from Apache POI web page?
Any sugestion would be highly appreciated.

FYI,  I created the attached Excel file in the following way:
1. Create a new Excel file without any password protection using Excel 2010.
2. Open the Excel file using Excel 2003.
-> File conversion is executed automatically.
3. Click menu [Tools - Protection - Protect Workbook] and set password "Excel".

As a result, I could create the protected Excel file, which cannot be add/delete a sheet.
The popup dialog "Enter password" is shown when opening it using Excel 2003 although it is
not shown using Excel 2010.
Also, the Excel file can be opened even if I typed a different password here.
The corect password is required when set the Protect workbook again.

Regards,
Isao