poi-user mailing list archives

From Chris Bamford <cbamf...@mimecast.com>
Subject Re: Extracting embedded files from HWPF docs
Date Mon, 10 Jun 2013 08:32:24 GMT
Hi Nick,

I created a .doc file with an embedded MP3 (that is, I dragged an MP3 file from Finder and
dropped it into the document whereupon Word displayed a small image of a loudspeaker - I took
this as a positive sign!).
I then added some text for good measure and saved it, taking care to save it as "Word 97 -
2004".
Then I ran POIFSLister -sizes on it and got:

Root Entry -
  SummaryInformation <(0x05)SummaryInformation> [4096 / 0x1000]
  DocumentSummaryInformation <(0x05)DocumentSummaryInformation> [4096 / 0x1000]
  WordDocument [9152 / 0x23c0]
  1Table [7280 / 0x1c70]
  CompObj <(0x01)CompObj> [96 / 0x60]

Looking closer in the debugger, I discovered that none of the entries shown are of type DirectoryNode,
so I cannot even start the process of finding / extracting the MP3.
Any ideas what I might be doing wrong?
Thanks,

- Chris

Thanks Nick, must have missed that. Will check it out.
Chris
On 7 Jun 2013, at 14:12, Nick Burch wrote:
> On Fri, 7 Jun 2013, Chris Bamford wrote:
>> Is there a way to extract files embedded into Word docs (.doc, not .docx), using
the HWPF package?

> Does the information on http://poi.apache.org/poifs/embeded.html not cover what you need?
>
> Nick

Thanks Nick, must have missed that. Will check it out.

Chris

On 7 Jun 2013, at 14:12, Nick Burch wrote:

> On Fri, 7 Jun 2013, Chris Bamford wrote:
>> Is there a way to extract files embedded into Word docs (.doc, not .docx), using
the HWPF package?

> Does the information on http://poi.apache.org/poifs/embeded.html not cover what you need?
>
> Nick

Chris Bamford
Senior Developer

CityPoint, One Ropemaker Street,
London,
EC2Y 9AW.

mobile +44 7860 405292
tel: +44 (0) 207 847 8700
web www.mimecast.com

The information contained in this communication from cbamford@mimecast.com is confidential
and may be legally privileged. It is intended solely for use by user@poi.apache.org and others
authorized to receive it. If you are not user@poi.apache.org you are hereby notified that
any disclosure, copying, distribution or taking action in reliance of the contents of this
information is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.

Mimecast Ltd. is a company registered in England and Wales with the company number 4698693
VAT No. GB 123 4197 34
Registered Office: CityPoint, One Ropemaker Street, Moorgate, London, EC2Y 9AW Email Address:
info@mimecast.com

This email message has been scanned for viruses by Mimecast.
Mimecast delivers a complete managed email solution from a single web based platform.