poi-user mailing list archives

From Chris Bamford <cbamf...@mimecast.com>
Subject Re: Controlling text extraction from XLS files
Date Thu, 01 Nov 2012 17:25:22 GMT
Hi Nick,

On 1 Nov 2012, at 16:11, Nick Burch wrote:

Yes. Formulas in Excel (.xls) are stored with two parts. One is the last value (number or
string) that the formula evaluated to. The other is the formula itself, stored in a parsed
format. With the false flag, you get the last result Excel calculated returned. With true,
we try to turn the parsed formula tokens back into a string. For your case, the formula is
actually shared across multiple cells, and another bit of POI is objecting because the sharing
is expected to be resolved but hasn't been

Thanks for the clear explanation.  It would seem to me that returning the last result Excel
calculated (setting it to false) is likely to be what is expected most of the time.  It could
well be good enough for what I need.

Cheers

- Chris

Chris Bamford
Senior Developer

2 - 8 Balfe Street
Kings Cross,
London, N1 9EG

mobile +44 7860 405292
tel: +44 (0) 207 843 2300
web www.mimecast.com

The information contained in this communication from cbamford@mimecast.com is confidential
and may be legally privileged. It is intended solely for use by user@poi.apache.org and others
authorized to receive it. If you are not user@poi.apache.org you are hereby notified that
any disclosure, copying, distribution or taking action in reliance of the contents of this
information is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.

Mimecast Ltd. is a company registered in England and Wales with the company number 4698693
VAT No. GB 123 4197 34
Registered Office:2 - 8 Balfe Street, Kings Cross London, N1 9EG Email Address: info@mimecast.com

This email message has been scanned for viruses by Mimecast.
Mimecast delivers a complete managed email solution from a single web based platform.