poi-user mailing list archives

From Mark Beardsley <markbrd...@tiscali.co.uk>
Subject Re: How to insert footer to doc file
Date Fri, 22 Jun 2012 07:18:11 GMT
The first course of action, IMO, is to ask whether you would consider
patching the API so that it does support adding/deleting headers and
footers? If you would maybe think about posting to the dev list saying that
this is what you wanted to do and asking for help, with luck Sergey might
reply and offer to mentor you through building the patch. Ideally then, you
could contribute the patch back to the project so that others might benefit.

With regard to XWPF (the stream that supports OOXML files) I cannot really
comment on it's support for headers/footers as I have not tried to use this
feature in a very long time. It may support them but my advice would be to
check first. From a wider perspective, if you could switch to that stream
for creating/editing your documents, then it is likely that you would be
better served generally as it is far easier to 'hack' XWPF and add features
on the fly so to speak. There are two reasons for this; firstly, the files
are simply zipped XML so working with them is far easier and, secondly, XWPF
is built on top of another layer that manipulates the raw XML markup and
which we can fairly easily access. Do bear in mind, however, that POI is not
able to convert files between to two different types, binary and OOXML.

Finally, if yo are compelled to work with the binary file format, look at
either OLE/COM or UNO. The former is limited - probably - to Windows
platforms while both are slower and more complex approaches that will yield
the results you require.

Yours

Mark B