poi-user mailing list archives

From Matt Rogghe <mrog...@blazent.com>
Subject RE: Newbie POI questions
Date Mon, 21 May 2012 16:39:10 GMT
One option is SXSSF.  It is a write only version of XSSF.  I have found it to be extremely
memory efficient and fast.

http://poi.apache.org/spreadsheet/index.html
http://poi.apache.org/spreadsheet/how-to.html#sxssf

-----Original Message-----
From: Hartzman, Les X. -ND [mailto:Les.X.Hartzman.-ND@disney.com]
Sent: Monday, May 21, 2012 12:35 PM
To: user@poi.apache.org
Subject: Newbie POI questions

I've been working with POI to create a basic workbook with data that is either textual or
numeric, but with no special cell formatting required.

After many iterations I discovered that everything has to stay in-memory until a write is
issued (HSSF and XSSF workbooks). At least based on my experience so far.

My question is whether or not this is true? Can a workbook be updated with each new sheet
that is added, thereby reducing the amount of data kept in memory? Does the workbook have
to be closed and reopened after a write of a sheet so that another sheet can be added?

Thanks.

Les