poi-user mailing list archives

From Mark Beardsley <markbrd...@tiscali.co.uk>
Subject Re: How to add section in HWPFDocument
Date Fri, 18 May 2012 15:32:53 GMT
Can I just make sure that I am correct in assuming that you want to add a new
section to the body of a document, for example to move from text arranged in
a single column to text arranged in two? If this is the case, then I do not
believe that is supported by the API. It is possible to get at the sections
of a document but not, as far as I am aware, to insert a new section into a
document. Please do not accept this as the final word on the issue. It has
been a long time since I used the API and Sergei is in a far better position
to offer a definitive answer so it might be best to wait for him.

Setting that aside for a moment, there are options. Firstly - and this would
be many users preferred option - you could work on implementing this feature
in the API. There are people who could offer you support in doing this and
Yegor is possibly the best point of contact. Secondly, you could use OLE to
control Word itself but this is cumbersome, quite complex and only supported
on Windows boxes (I cannot speak of the utility of Wine and whether it could
be used to support OLE/COM on a Linux platform). Thirdly  and moving back to
platform independence, you can use Open/LibreOffice and create what is
called a UNO Client Application. It works a little like OLE in that you are
controlling an application from Java code and it is just as cumbersome and,
possibly, even more complex as you do not have the support of Word's Macro
Recorder.