poi-user mailing list archives

From Mark Beardsley <markbrd...@tiscali.co.uk>
Subject Re: Same named cells in several sheets
Date Sat, 05 May 2012 11:15:03 GMT
Have been playing a little this morning and can confirm that it is not
possible to create regions/cells with the same name but on different
worksheets using POI. Can I please ask you to confirm that it is possible to
do this using Excel itself? By this, I mean would you use Excel and try to
create a cell with the name 'MyCell' on two or more sheets? I cannot test
this myself as we use Libre/OpenOffice and it does not support this feature;
names have to be unique within the workbook.

If you do manage to create such a workbook, could I ask you to email a copy
to me at msb@apache.org please so that I have something to work with. It is
not possible, as you found, to get at the named cell directly but I have put
together a small utility that should (might, it's still waiting a test,
hence that Excel workbook) allow you to do something similar. Put simply, it
iterates through all of the named cells/regions in the workbook until it
finds the one you are after at which point it will return this cell.

If you do find, that you cannot use Excel to create cells with the same name
but on different sheets, can I ask you to let us know please. As far as I
have been able to discover, this ought to be possible with Excel but i could
well be wrong.

Yours

Mark B