poi-user mailing list archives

From Mark Beardsley <markbrd...@tiscali.co.uk>
Subject Re: How do I copy cell styles ?
Date Wed, 04 Apr 2012 15:44:45 GMT
Am I correct in assuming that you are approaching this as a two step process?
It is not clear from the code you posted, but it seems to me that you
cloning the styles as one operation and then attempting to copy the cells
and apply the coled styles as a separate operation. If this is the case,
then I am forced to ask, why not perform both operations at the same time?
In psuedo code, something like this;

Get a cell from the old workbook.
Copy that cells contents into a cell you have created in the new workbook.
Get the style object applied to the old cell.
Check whether or not you have already cloned a similar style object. If you
have not, clone the style, and apply the clone to the cell. Then store the
reference to the old style object away using one of Java's Collections
classes. As styles are shared objects, I think it is safe to assume -
although you should test it - that if the same style is applied to two
different cells, the reference returned (the style object) for the style
will be the same and can simply be compared for equality.

This way you do not have to store away the cloned styles and do not need to
try and work out which is which when you come to apply styles to the copied
cells.

I cannot place my finger directly onto the method/class I am looking for at
the moment, but seem to remember there is a way to ask POI to take a pass
through the workbook once it has been populated and remove any duplicate
style objects. Once I find it, I will post here.