poi-user mailing list archives

From superrubiroyd <superrubir...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Goggle Summer of Code 2012
Date Tue, 20 Mar 2012 10:46:32 GMT
20.03.2012 11:49, Yegor Kozlov пишет:
> Hi Evgeniy ,
>
> Yes, you are very much welcome to participate.  Do you have any
> proposals / ideas ?
>
> We haven't posted our ideas for the POI project yet, here is a couple
> of the top of my head:
>
> (1) Improve support for drawings in HSSF. The main problem is that you
> can create new drawings from scratch but cannot modify existing ones.
> This task will require deep understanding of the Excel Biff8 and MS
> Binary Drawing(Escher) formats and current architecture of the HSSF
> module.
>
> (2) Support extraction of Macro code. POI needs to to be able to read
> VBA code from both binary and OOXML files.
> It will be a new project module, a new format parser and , I promise,
> a lot of hacking on the very low level
>
> Regards,
> Yegor
>

> On Tue, Mar 20, 2012 at 1:34 PM, superrubiroyd<superrubiroyd@gmail.com>  wrote:
>> Hi, I am final year student from Ukrain. Apache Software Foundation got to
>> the list of accepted organizations of GSoC 2012. So, I want to ask, is it
>> possible to take part in GSoC in POI project?  If it is possible how can I
>> do it?
>> Thanks, with best regards, Evgeniy Berlog

Thanks much for your answer!
Right now I don't have my own proposals.
I would like to choose the first variant:

(1) Improve support for drawings in HSSF. The main problem is that you
can create new drawings from scratch but cannot modify existing ones.
This task will require deep understanding of the Excel Biff8 and MS
Binary Drawing(Escher) formats and current architecture of the HSSF
module.

Before the writing of GSoC application I want to become more familiar with HSSF module and
Excel Biff8 and MS Binary Drawing(Escher). Probably, it would be better to fix some bug from
your bugtracker.
Can you recommend me some tasks from you bug tracker to become more familiar with your code
and tell me please how to send patch with fixed bug.
Thanks, with best regards, Evgeniy Berlog