poi-user mailing list archives

From Mark Beardsley <markbrd...@tiscali.co.uk>
Subject RE: How to insert existing RTF string into Excel cell
Date Wed, 21 Mar 2012 15:13:42 GMT
You cannot use HTML either. When you are using Excel itself, you can copy and
paste HTML into a cell and Excel will interpret the mark-up; but this is
Excel the application doing the work for you. With POI, you are working
directly with the raw file and do not have the 'Excel layer' so to speak to
help.

Have you thought about using a pre-existing parser to interpret the RTF/HTML
markup and use it to tell you what you should do with POI? IText is the
obvious candidate where RTF is concerned. I know it will work with RTF
documents, fragments I am not so sure about but it would be worthwhile
trying. Whether there is something similar for HTML, I cannot say. My only
experiences with parsing HTML using Java have made use of the languages
in-built parsing capabilities.