poi-user mailing list archives

From Yegor Kozlov <yegor.koz...@dinom.ru>
Subject Re: ClientAnchor Dx/Dy behaviour in HSSF and XSSF (POI 3.8b4)
Date Fri, 07 Oct 2011 12:02:53 GMT
On Fri, Oct 7, 2011 at 9:53 AM, Jim Talbut <jtalbut@spudsoft.co.uk> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've finally got my images sized correctly in both HSSF and XSSF with POI
> 3.8 beta 4 and I'd be grateful if someone would confirm the behaviour I've
> found.
>
> For HSSF the Dx and Dy values are based on fractions of a cell width/height,
> ranging from 0 to 1024/255.

quite right.

> For XSSF the Dx and Dy values are EMU values, with an upper bound that
> depends on the size of the column/row.

Logically yes, the upper bound depends on the size of the window, but
the format spec does not impose this restriction.

> Is this the expected behaviour for 3.8 beta 4?
> Are you expecting this behaviour to change in the release version of 3.8?

Yes, it is expected. It may be confusing that implementations of
ClientAnchor behave differently (fractions vs EMUs), but I don't see
how to make this differences transparent to user. Dealing with
fractions is a pain. EMUs are much easier and personally I would be
happy if both HSSF and XSSF operate in EMUs but it is not possible for
historical reasons.

> I'm quite happy with the behaviour (now I know what it is) but I couldn't
> find the XSSF behaviour documented anywhere.
> The comments in the ClientAnchor javadocs are confusing, because whilst they
> correctly imply that XSSF values are EMU based, they also imply that HSSF
> values are pixel based, which they aren't.

Something to improve for 3.8-FINAL. You are very much welcome to post
the corrected javadoc for ClientAnchor :)

Regards,
Yegor