poi-user mailing list archives

From Nick Burch <nick.bu...@alfresco.com>
Subject Re: HMEF vs HSMF
Date Mon, 27 Jun 2011 22:49:45 GMT
On Mon, 27 Jun 2011, Ezequiel Foncubierta wrote:
> I'm trying to parse a RTF mail message that contains the following
> header:

What kind of file is it? (Alas the mailing list eats most attachments)

> Should I use HMEFMessage instead of MAPIMessage?

HMEFMessage should be used when you have a winmail.dat file. MAPIMessage
should be used when you have an outlook .msg file.

> By using MAPIMessage I can get all the message properties (subject, an
> so on) but can't get one of the attachments (an image in the signature)
> because the attachData attribute is null.

Normally when AttachData is null, that means you instead have a directory
attachment, and in almost all cases you can get a nested MAPIMessage for
the attachment.

> On the other, if I have to use HMEFMessage to extract the attachments,
> How do I get the winmail.dat file from a .msg? Is it possible?

I don't know how a winmail.dat file gets stored in an outlook .msg file,
but if you have a sample file you can share that'd be great! That
said, winmail.dat is normally used as a transport to wrap up all the
outlook properties on the wire, and I thought it was normally decoded back
by outlook on receipt?

Nick