poi-user mailing list archives

From Mark Beardsley <markbrd...@tiscali.co.uk>
Subject Re: Display parsed HTML content
Date Wed, 13 Apr 2011 06:41:48 GMT
Well, POI is a community effort so if you want to develop this feature and
then contribuite it to the project, I am sure many would be pleased. I did
look into it myself but decided not to proceed as there are a few problems,
not the least of which is detecting the data's type. By this, I mean that
£1234.78 would require me to create a numeric cell and Testing a text one.
Detceting data type would take some work with regular expressions that I
never felt like tackling. Then you would have the problem of dealing with
malformed html, deciding upon which tags to support, etc. Not a project I
felt like tackling in my spare time.

Anyway, having said that, I did have a thought last night. In my experience
Excel can only parse html markup if it reads it from a file or if the markup
is pasted into a cell. I have never been able just to type the fragment into
a cell and have it recognised as html markup. What I have never tried though
is entering the full, basic html document markup into a cell to see what
happens. By this, I mean the following;

Test

Would Excel recognise and parse this? Might be worth a quick try with your
test code even though I doubt it will work.

Yours

Mark B