poi-user mailing list archives

From Mark Beardsley <markbrd...@tiscali.co.uk>
Subject Re: Replacing placeholder to a Table.
Date Sun, 20 Feb 2011 07:45:49 GMT

This may sound a silly question but when you say you have to produce .doc
files, does that actually mean files in the older binary format with the
extension .doc or are you using the term generically to refer to any Word
file either in the binary or OOXML file formats? In the past, there have
been problems trying to use the api to undertake a search and replace
operation with HWPF. Your requirement sounds slightly different in that, I
am guessing, you will be replacing a simple tag with content rather than a
certain section of a paragraph, but it is best to acknowledge this potential
problem at the outset.

How complex are the tables? I am fairly certain, for instance, that it is
not yet possible to produce tables where a cell spans more than one row or
column. Further, I am not confident that it is possible to insert images
into table cells or to embed other documents but I could well be wrong as I
have not used this part of the api for quite some time and it could have
been developed further in the interim.

Yours

Mark B