poi-user mailing list archives

From Mark Beardsley <markbrd...@tiscali.co.uk>
Subject Re: HSSFCell API changes - I do not see setEncoding() in 3.2
Date Thu, 10 Feb 2011 08:21:08 GMT

May I ask which type of file you are dealing with? Is it one of the older
binary format files (ending with .xls) or one of the newer OOXML files
(ending with something like .xlsx)? If the latter, you can take a look
directly at the contents of the file to check that POI is retrieving them
properly. Simply copy the file, change the copy's extension to .zip and then
unzip it into a folder. Then you need to locate a file called
sharedStrings.xml and open that using a simple text editor. This will allow
you to look directly at the contents of the cells and you can quickly scan
that to see if the beta caharcter is there or whether it is, as Nick
suggested, the font that is performing the transformation for you.

Now, to get at font information from within the api itself, you will need to
obtain a reference to the style applied to the cell and call the
getFontIndex() method - there are different methods defined for the
different workbook types, this one is defined for both within the SS stream
as I do not know the format you are targetting. You can then pass the short
value this method returns to the getFontAt() method of the workbook object
which will return you a Font object (actually an instance of either HSSFFont
of XSSFFont depening upon which file type you are dealing with) that you can
interrogate for information such as it's name, etc. The method above relates
to coding using the SS model and you may ned to make modifications depending
upon whether you are using the HSSF stream or the XSSF one.

Yours

Mark B