poi-user mailing list archives

From Mark Beardsley <markbrd...@tiscali.co.uk>
Subject Re: Formula Calculation Option with POI.
Date Fri, 28 Jan 2011 15:12:29 GMT

Do not waste your time. I have just had a good look and this setting relates
to the application and not to any file. Therefore, there will be no setting
within the .xls or .xlsx file that has any effect upon whether the
calculation mode is automaic or not. As of now, the only way I know to set
this programmatically is with a macro. You would need to define a macro
within the workbook that ran whenever the user opened the workbook and which
adjusted the settings as required. There are quite a few problems with this
approach;

1. The change in settings would persist - that means that the next workbook
the user opened would also be affected by the changes you made.
2. Whilst macros can be signed with Office 2007 files (.xlsm), this feature
is not supported with the older binary file format. Thus, when the user
opens a workbok they will be faced with a message telling them it contains
macros, that these could perform harmful actions and offering them the
option of disabling the macro.

So, to sum up, I guess the answer is that it can be done, not with POI or a
patched version of the api and that you need to think carefully before doing
this - how happy will your users me if your workbook makes changes to their
copy of Excel?

Yours

Mark B