poi-user mailing list archives

From Mark Beardsley <markbrd...@tiscali.co.uk>
Subject Re: Large list in data validation produces error when sheet opens
Date Wed, 26 Jan 2011 17:13:37 GMT

Oh well, just a thought because I had seen a few posting on the internet
about problems with large lists.

Nick's advice in cases like this is to create two files and compare them to
see what POI is doing differently. Build the first file using POI and make
it as simple as possible, adding only those elements that will cause the
problem. Next, create exactly the same file using Excel. Thirdly, unzip both
- I am assuming you are creating xlsx files rather than xls ones here -
using something like WinRAR or PKUnzip and then dig around within the files
internals to see if you can spot where Excel's and POI's files differ. If
you are creating the older binary file format xls files then you can use the
BiffViewer utility to take a look at both and see any differences POI is
able to detect. At the very least this will enable you to point the
developers in the right direction if you need to raise this issue as a bug.

Good luck.

Yours

Mark B