poi-user mailing list archives

From David Fisher <dfis...@jmlafferty.com>
Subject Re: Detecting 1904 date windowing in a given file
Date Wed, 03 Nov 2010 16:06:06 GMT
Thanks for the well written and researched question.
Dave

On Nov 3, 2010, at 9:03 AM, Carnow, Robin (IMS) wrote:

> Sorry about that Dave.  We have been having email outages, and I was not sure if my message
reached the list.  I should have queried user-help instead of reposting.
> Sorry for the spam.
> Robin

post. Several of the POI committers are at Apachecon. We have discussed this a little. We
may have an answer in the next day or two. Please be patient.

> Regards,
> Dave
>
> On Nov 3, 2010, at 7:29 AM, Carnow, Robin (IMS) wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have been researching for a while now and I am unable to find a good solution for
finding out whether a given xls or xlsx file is using 1904 date windowing (i.e. cells with
dates created using excel on a mac).  I do not have any prior knowledge about the files I
am given so I do not know what to pass DateUtil.getJavaDate for the use1904windowing boolean
parameter.

>> I have tried to create a RecordInputStream and pass it to the constructor of the
DateWindow1904Record, but this exception is thrown:
>> org.apache.poi.hssf.record.RecordFormatException: The content of an excel record
cannot exceed 8224 bytes

>> The files I am passing in can be opened and successfully used when I use WorkbookFactory,
so I don't think the files are the problem.

>> I also looked into creating an InternalWorkbook and then calling its isUsing1904DateWindowing
method, but the same exception above is thrown.  Also, since this class is annotated as Internal,
I don't think this solution is optimal for the future.

>> I found a very old post (2002) which talked about using BiffViewer to glean this
information, but I don't think using such a low level component/operation should be necessary.
 Also, I'm not sure how that would work in the xlsx use case.

>> I am using POI version 3.7.
>> Any Help would be greatly appreciated.
>>
>> Great job on your release!
>>
>> Thank you,
>> Robin
>>
>> Information in this e-mail may be confidential. It is intended only for the addressee(s)
identified above. If you are not the addressee(s), or an employee or agent of the addressee(s),
please note that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication is strictly
prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender of the error.