poi-user mailing list archives

From Nick Burch <nick.bu...@alfresco.com>
Subject Re: PictureData
Date Wed, 20 Oct 2010 11:44:58 GMT
On Wed, 20 Oct 2010, dcoales wrote:
> I can access the PictureData records but I can't seem to find any way of
> identifying which sheet the picture came from nor it's size and
> position.

That sort of information is in the escher records, and related ones.
Currently POI can read the low level records, and provides a high level
way to write them. However, there's no high level way to read the drawing
stuff, mostly because there's such a wide range of things that can be done
with the drawing layer.

If you are able to contribute some code towards the high level reading,
that'd be great, as it's something we've been hoping for contributions
around for many years now!

Otherwise I'd suggest you look at the code in POI for adding
drawings/shapes, and see which records are important for the information
that interests you. Then, go grab the records from your file, and use
that.

If you go for this route, I'd suggest you read some of the high level
introductions from the [MS-XLS] and [MS-ODRAW] documentation from
Microsoft, so you can get your head around the concepts. We should have
code to read and write the records, so all you need to do is identify the
records that matter

Nick