poi-user mailing list archives

From Mark Beardsley <markbrd...@tiscali.co.uk>
Subject Re: HWPF replace hyperlinks
Date Fri, 22 Oct 2010 06:43:46 GMT

My experience using HWPF to perform search and replace operations ends with
version 3.2 - or therabouts as that was the last version I could persuade to
perform the process reliably. Even then, a problem would arise if the search
and replacement terms were of different lengths.

HWPF is in need of development and support and - if you can see you or your
company using the API extensively in the future - I would ask that you
consider looking at patching the API to ensure it performs correctly and
then submitting this path to the project.

If you are in need of a quick fix, then OpenOffice can be used; it is
possible to write Java code to control the application. The draw-back there
is that you are controlling the application so you must have OpenOffice
installed and need to be prepared for it to take longer to complete the
process. If you are working on Windows PC's only, then you could look at OLE
of course but this requires third party libraries - JACOB or OLE32 - and you
will face the same performance issues.