poi-user mailing list archives

From MSB <markbrd...@tiscali.co.uk>
Subject Re: Any new Word/Excel file options in 3.7?
Date Thu, 24 Jun 2010 07:11:30 GMT

You can already insert pictures into a worksheet be it in binary or OOXML
format and there are examples on the POI website -
http://poi.apache.org/spreadsheet/quick-guide.html#Images - and you can
always take a look
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/poi/trunk/src/examples/src/org/apache/poi/ss/examples/AddDimensionedImage.java.
This will/should do most of the work for you though it may well be 'over the
top'.

Cannot say the same about HWPF as it needs developing and programmers to
tackle that task - something I have to admit is well beyond me. If you need
to use the API, why not take on some of that burden yourself, there are lots
of other users who would appreciate it if you could. It should be possible
to make a good business case to your boss/bosses, just point to the price of
Aspose Word as an illustration.

Yours

Mark B

PS You could always use OLE/COM. Wine promises to run Windows dynamic link
libraries on UNIX/Linux platforms, although I have never tried it being one
of Bill's accolytes, and it has to be possible to use them across networks.
So, you could use JACOB or OLE32 to create Java code that would control an
instance of Word or Excel. That way, you could basically use VBA commands
and do anything the application could. Finally, why not use OpenOffice? It's
UNO interface can be accessed from Java code and allows you to, again,
control an instance of the application. OpenOffice has the capability to do
almost as much as the native Word/Excel applications - very complex
documents are somethimes not rendered/handled quite so well in my
experience.