poi-user mailing list archives

From MSB <markbrd...@tiscali.co.uk>
Subject Re: I have problem using XSSF
Date Wed, 16 Jun 2010 17:53:06 GMT

The eventmodel is much less memory intensive as it operates at a far 'lower'
level - the usermodel can be thgought of as another layer which makes it
easier to manipulate the workbook but it does require more memory. The
memory requirements of XSSF are higher than those of HWPF as it, XSSF, is
built on top of another library that actually parses the raw XML. Recently,
one of the list members - Bruce - has been throughly testing the performance
of the API and noted a number of places where improvements could be made.
Yegor has made a few changes and it coul be worth while downloading the
lattest version of the API to see if any of these wil help you.

I am not sure that the approach demonstrated in Yegor's BigGridDemo example
is the best one for you to adopt if you are having to sum values and
determine where data should be placed in the workbook. However I have to
admit that I am no expert and it might be perfectly possible with this
approach. You may have to wait a while to see if anyone else responds to
your question or even post another question asking speficlayy if anyone has
used the BigGridDemo appraoch to do what you require.

In the meantime, I think that I would look at manipulating the CSV directly
to order and reorder their contents before creating the Excel workbook. Only
you can tell if this is possible but have you thought about editing the CSV
files - maybe creating one larger file - before attempting to build the
workbook?

Yours

Mark B