poi-user mailing list archives

From Andre-John Mas <aj...@sympatico.ca>
Subject Re: The supplied POIFSFileSystem does not contain a BIFF8 'Workbook' entry. Is it really an excel file?
Date Fri, 16 Apr 2010 14:01:30 GMT

On 16-Apr-2010, at 04:41, Nick Burch wrote:

> On Thu, 15 Apr 2010, Andre-John Mas wrote:
>> What I don't seem to understand is why the Excel 2003 parser (HSSF) is being used
when I call WorkbookFactory.create() on this file, instead of the Excel 2007 parser (XSSF).
The file ends in '.xlsx'.

> Since you got the output that you did from POIFSLister, it's clear that your document
in an OLE2 document, not an ooxml one. That's also why you get the exception you do when you
try to load it with XSSF.

The odd thing is that if I try resaving it as a new Office 2007 file or a new Office 2003
the file, with Excel 2007, it still can't be read by POI, even if it they can be reopend with
Excel. Its almost as if it is a data issue.

Additional investigation: I tried opening the file with "Numbers" on the Mac and it couldn't
open it. Trying to open it with Office 2008, on MacOS X, and I get the message "The workbook
contains content that is not supported  by Excel  2008 for Mac: OLE DB query tables". Trying
to unzip the, or look at it in a hex editor indicates this is not zipped content.

I am really going to have to investigate how this file was created in the first place, and
why Excel is saving an apparent Office 2007 is saving the document as OLE. Is it possible
that Excel will use the OLE format if there is a feature not supported by the OOXML format?

If any of the developers want to look at the file, I will happily supply it.

André-John