poi-user mailing list archives

From Richard Holmes <rich...@shedconsulting.co.uk>
Subject Populating EXCEL Templates using configuration files
Date Mon, 01 Mar 2010 10:38:26 GMT
Hi All,

A client of mine is looking to export a java object model to various EXCEL
sheets.  These sheets are not of any particular format or layout and they
would like to be able to use some form of configuration files to populate
the sheets how they wish, the EXCEL version being used is 2003.

The options I am looking into are:
1) Use the XML features in EXCEL to populate the workbook - but in this case
I can not find a way of updating the XML source in Java, in .net is it
ImportXML.
2) Use some sort of configuration take the java or XML object and populate
the sheets/cells in Excel, I have tried jxls but this does not have the
flexibility other than this I have come up short.  (I am looking into using
mono but I don't believe this is possible either).
3) Use EXCEL macros to re-format the data once in the sheet, but again this
requires the users to perform actions, such as allowing macros to be run.
Some of our users find this a complex proceedure :)

I have thought of writing my own engine but the deadlines are too short.

If anyone has any ideas I would be very greatful, the easiest for me would
be to find a way of updating XML or find an engine that uses a configuration
file to populate EXCEL.

Many thanks
Richard