poi-user mailing list archives

From <sundeep.sivara...@wipro.com>
Subject Skipping a worksheet while parsing Excel Using Event based API
Date Tue, 02 Mar 2010 03:51:12 GMT
Hi,

I would like to extract data from an excel sheet that contains multiple
worksheets (and all of them containing some data). Since my excel sheet
can have almost 30,000 records, I heard that using the Event-based API
would improve the performance substantially, when compared to the normal
HSSF APIs.

The main-content that I want to extract is present in only one of the
many worksheets of the excel document and I'm not able to find a way to
selectively extract the data from the worksheet of my interest. Or
looking at it from another angle, I'm not able to figure out how to skip
all the unwanted worksheets and process only the required worksheet.

First, is it possible to solve the above mentioned problem in any way
using the event-based API? If yes, then how:-) ?

Second, considering the amount of records (approx 30000 rows and 20
columns) in my excel doc, am I right in assuming that using the Event
based API will bring in a huge amount of performance benefits? I'm aware
that my problem can be solved using then normal HSSF APIs. But, it's the
performance-effect that I'm unaware of due to which I would like to use
the event-based API.

Could someone please help me out with this?

Thanks.

Regards,
Sundeep Sivaraman
Bangalore.