poi-user mailing list archives

From MSB <markbrd...@tiscali.co.uk>
Subject Re: Populating EXCEL Templates using configuration files
Date Mon, 01 Mar 2010 16:11:31 GMT

Richard, I just re-read your post and wanted to ask whether you knew that
there were two different 'versions' of Excel's xml file format. The earlier
format was introduced for, I think, version 2003 and so you need to be
careful to identify just which 'version' of the xml file format you are
using. The one I am familiar with, and which is supported by POI, is the
format that is documented in ECMA376 and, as my earlier post indicates, is a
zipped archive consisting of several related files and folders. The earlier
version uses a much simpler format and it is possible to identify which one
you have by opening the file using a simple text editor. If the file
conforms to the earlier format then you will be able to open the file with a
text editor and view the raw xml directly; obviously this will not be the
case if you are dealing with the later - version 2007 and later - version of
the file format.

Yours

Mark B

PS The code I included in my last post will NOT work for the earlier file
format.