poi-user mailing list archives

From Vijayakumar Gowdaman <vijayakumar.gowda...@db.com>
Subject Re: identifying the date cell
Date Tue, 12 Jan 2010 16:31:52 GMT
Thanks for the reply Mark.

That's exactly I am doing in my code.

Once it is a number then I am using a getDataFormatString() to get the
format of the date.

Regards,

Vijayakumar Gowdaman

Group Technology & Operations (GTO)
Global Markets
Deutsche Bank
off: 02075456250
Mob:07789773998

MSB <markbrdsly@tiscali.co.uk>
12/01/2010 16:20
Please respond to
"POI Users List" <user@poi.apache.org>

user@poi.apache.org
cc

Subject
Re: identifying the date cell

No, there is no other way. The reason is that dates are actually stored as
numbers - long integers I think - and then formatted so that the user of
the
worksheet sees a date in the format most familiar to them. That is why
there
is a need for the second check; knowing that the cell contains a number is
not enough, it is necessary to look at the format applied to the cell to
determine if it contains a date or not.

Yours

Mark B