poi-user mailing list archives

From MSB <markbrd...@tiscali.co.uk>
Subject Re: Units to be set through getFormat()
Date Sat, 23 Jan 2010 09:25:36 GMT

Turns out it was the single inverted comma that you used to surround the kg
symbol with; it should have been speach marks or quotation marks. Try this;

public static final void kgFormat(String filename) {
        File file = null;
        FileOutputStream fos = null;
        HSSFWorkbook workbook = null;
        HSSFSheet sheet = null;
        HSSFRow row = null;
        HSSFCell cell = null;
        HSSFCellStyle numberStyle = null;
        try {
            file = new File(filename);
            workbook = new HSSFWorkbook();
            numberStyle = workbook.createCellStyle();

numberStyle.setDataFormat(workbook.createDataFormat().getFormat("0.00\"
kg\""));
            sheet = workbook.createSheet();
            row = sheet.createRow(0);
            cell = row.createCell(0);
            cell.setCellValue(10.023);
            cell.setCellStyle(numberStyle);

            fos = new FileOutputStream(file);
            workbook.write(fos);
        }
        catch(IOException ioEx) {
            System.out.println("Caught an: " + ioEx.getClass().getName());
            System.out.println("Message: " + ioEx.getMessage());
            System.out.println("Stacktrace follows:............");
            ioEx.printStackTrace(System.out);
        }
        finally {
            try {
                if(fos != null) {
                    fos.close();
                }
            }
            catch(IOException ioEx) {

            }
        }
    }

It works for me using POI version 3.6 and Office 2007. If you do not want
the space between the final digit and the kg symbol, simply change this
line;

numberStyle.setDataFormat(workbook.createDataFormat().getFormat("0.00\"
kg\""));

to this;

numberStyle.setDataFormat(workbook.createDataFormat().getFormat("0.00\"kg\""));

Yours

Mark B

PS This goes without saying of course, I only made this into a static method
so that I could plug the test code into a junk class I use to prototype/test
this type of thing. You will want to do something different for your code I
am sure.