poi-user mailing list archives

From MSB <markbrd...@tiscali.co.uk>
Subject Re: Problem reading XLS files
Date Fri, 22 Jan 2010 07:42:25 GMT

Excel can behave quite oddly at times and it will create a record for a cell
if it has been 'touched' in any way by the user during creation of the file.
By this, I mean that if the user entered a value into a cell and then
cleared that out or if they set a format and then removied it, Excel will
recognise that something was done to the cell and will create a record for
it in the file. Without seeing the actual file/files you are working with I
cannot comment much further but do suspect that this may have been the case;
either the user or the application that created the file left a few of these
artifacts around. I do not expect that this is a problem with POI but to be
certain, can you post one of the files that is exhibiting this sort of
behaviour so that we could take a closer look at it please? Further, can you
say which version of the API you are using and how the Excel file is
generated - by someone using Excel or by another application - please?

Yours

Mark B