poi-user mailing list archives

From MSB <markbrd...@tiscali.co.uk>
Subject Re: Extract Text with style/type information
Date Tue, 19 Jan 2010 16:32:23 GMT

I am hoping that it really is this simple but I cannot be too sure that it
really will be. The org.apache.poi.hwpf.usermodel.Range class is the parent
class for CharacterRun, DocumentPosition, Paragraph, Section, Table and
TableCell, whilst Paragraph is the parent of ListEntry. I have never tried
this but could it be as simple as using instanceof to test what class you
actually had in hand whilst parsing the document? It should be easy enough
to test this hypothesis;

Open a document.
Get the top level Range object.
Get the number of Pargraphs.
Iterate through the Paragraphs one at a time and test to see what object you
actually have in hand.

There are going to be one or two holes in this - I think that it will not
deal with pictures for example - but it could well be a way to start.

Yours

Mark B