poi-user mailing list archives

From MSB <markbrd...@tiscali.co.uk>
Subject Re: bug in cell.setCellType(Cell.CELL_TYPE_NUMERIC) (POI 3.6)
Date Thu, 07 Jan 2010 07:55:13 GMT

Yes, that would work for your requirement Filip but I can easilly imagine
another using say that the String value "$2,500" should be converted to a
number and a format should be generated and applied automatically to the
cell so that they did not lose the dollar sign and comma separator - and is
this really the function of a setCellYtpe() method? I think that we could
convincingly argue that if you try to convert a cell whose type is text or
string into a numeric cell (for example) then a warning should be issued
that information may be lost. In my opinion, it will not be possible to
catch and handle every little requirement, so the conversion of the value
should be performed and the user ought to be warned that changes may occur
to the appearence of the cell.

Yours

Mark B