poi-user mailing list archives

From MSB <markbrd...@tiscali.co.uk>
Subject Re: How to convert XMLSS to MS EXCEL
Date Thu, 07 Jan 2010 07:43:54 GMT

Morning Max,

Sorry, I should have made it clear that the term OpenXML is used to refer to
the XML formatted files produced by Office 2007 and later so I think that we
are talking about the same thing here
(http://openxmldeveloper.org/default.aspx). Sadly, there is no easy way to
convert between the two versions unless you use Excel itself, OpenOffice or
purchase a component/tool/library that will support this (Aspose might for
instance but I do not know and understand it is expensive). You could use
XSSF/HSSF to perform the work for you but, as I indicated, there are areas
that XSSF does not yet support - data validations being the main one - and
there are likely to be wrinkles that need ironing out during the conversion
- charts and fonts are the two areas I am not at all sure about.

Yours

Mark B

There could be one wrinkle to all of this. Excel 2003 allowed users to save
files in an XML format, but this was very different to the newer zipped XML
files produced by later versions of Office and that conform to yje ECMA-376
standard. There is a very simple way to tell them apart, try to open the
file using a simple text editor; if you have an Excel 2003 XML file you will
see a file of XML markup.