poi-user mailing list archives

From Mahesh Ganapathy <mgan...@gmail.com>
Subject HSSF Sheet DV corruption
Date Thu, 14 Jan 2010 15:54:42 GMT
Hello All,
I am generating a sheet with a lot of named references one one sheet
which is very hidden. In the second sheet which is visible to the
users, the cells have data validation referencing (direct references
and indirect references) the named cells on the very hidden sheet.
This provides the user's with value lists for each of the cells to
assist in data entry. Now when the user's try to regenerate the sheet,
the system has to update the values in the named ranges, while
retaining the data in the user editable worksheet. I took the easiest
approach which was to delete this very hidden sheet and create a new
one with the same name and same named ranges. But in the resulting
excel document, the datavalidation using direct references seems to be
corrupted. For example, a column called country, has a data validation
list that refers to the named range "country" and another column
callled project, which depends on the country selected in the previous
colum therefore having the validation =INDIRECT(SUBSTITUTE($C$7"
","")) . In the regenerated worksheet, the country validation (direct
reference) points to a random named range while the project data
validation (using the indirect reference) stays the way it is.
I am using POI 3.2 FINAL with JDK 1.4.2_10 on the server.

My questions are:
1. Is this a bug in POI or is this how things are expected to work
with this approach.
2. If this is not a bug, what would a better approach be?

Thanks,
Mahesh Ganapathy