poi-user mailing list archives

From Dave Coventry <dgcoven...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Installing the POI jars for Netbeans
Date Tue, 15 Dec 2009 14:06:19 GMT
Hi Mark,

2009/12/15 MSB <markbrdsly@tiscali.co.uk>:
> I thought about this overnight because I did not want what I say next to
> sound really patronising; anyway, here goes.

It's not a problem. I realise that there is always a possibility that
I could be a recognised computer science professor with thirty years
of working at the cutting edge under my belt, but you can rest
assured, this is not the case!

> When you deploy the application you are working on, you will not deploy the
> .java file as it contains the source code you have created. Rather, you will
> deploy the .class file which contains the pre-compiled bytecode that the JVM
> will load, compile into native code and then run. Also, you will need to
> make sure that the machine upon which your application runs has access to
> the POI archives because the JVM needs to locate, load and run one or more
> of the classes it contains. I am sure you knew all of this and that is why I
> worried about it sounding patronising, but when you said in you last message
> that you interest was in a single .java file that you planned to implement
> on another machine, I worried a bit.

Not to worry.

The other machine is a headless Debian box which will not be able to
have Netbeans installed.

Once I can be sure that the Java code is good, I'll copy it across to
the production machine and compile it there.

The reason I posted on here was that I couldn't be sure that my java
code had access to the jar libraries it needed; once I can move it on
the Production machine I shall be reasonably confident that it should
run, given access to the relevant libraries.

I will obviously make sure that these libraries are accessible to the code.

> Now, one of the easiest ways to achieve all of this is to use the contents
> of the dist sub-folder that Netbeans will create for you. It will create an
> archive that contains your class and ensure that the other archives your
> application needs are copied into it's lib sub-folder. All you then need to
> do is copy this over to the host machone and your application ought to run.

That's great news; I shall definitely give that a go.

> Of course, you do not have to use this structure and there are good reasons
> not to do so; you can copy the POI archive into a different folder even on
> another machine as long as you ensure that it is accessible to your
> application at runtime. It is quite likely that you will need to set the
> -classpath environment variable to ensure that the JVM can locate the
> resources it requires at runtime. I work almost exclusivly on Windows and
> use .bat files (batch files) extensively to run applications as they allow
> me to create instructions such as this;
>
> "C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_07\bin\java" -classpath ".;..;" -jar
> "C:\Work Area\Programming\Java\Development\Netbeans\Neat\File
> Processor\dist\File_Processor.jar"
>
> and set the -classpath the application uses when it is executed. Sadly, I do
> not know if such a mechanism exists on Linux but suspect that it does.

Yes it doe. I shall certainly try to implement it when I get my app working.

Thanks again,

Dave Coventry