poi-user mailing list archives

From MSB <markbrd...@tiscali.co.uk>
Subject Re: Determine version of excel file
Date Wed, 02 Dec 2009 16:36:28 GMT

Hello again,

If you code to the 'SS' model then you will not need to check the type
returned by the WorkbookFactory at all. By this. I mean that you will use
objects from the org.apache.poi.ss.usermodel package such as Workbook, Sheet
and Cell in your program. That way, you need have no concerns at all about
the actual type - and therefore the file format - that you are dealing with.
Before deciding to move your code in this direction however, it would be
wise to look closely at the methods defined on the various interfaces just
to make sure that you can accomplish everything you require. Just as am
example, on HSSFSheet you can add a data validation whuilst this methgod has
not yet been declared within the Sheet interface. Should you need to
extended functionality then of course you can just test the type returned to
you by the WorkbookFactory and then 'direct' program flow accordingly.

Yours

Mark B

PS Sorry again for that 'just open the file and look at the header' bit this
morning. I was over-excited about the work we had on today and seriously
deprived of tea at that moment. Hope you did not waste any time pursuing
that fruitless/pointless direction.