poi-user mailing list archives

From nagineni <naganirange...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: How to disable list box values in XLS using POI
Date Thu, 19 Nov 2009 15:50:57 GMT

Thanks Mark for the given idea of using dynamic drop downs.Yes,This way is
one solution to the problem.
But other issue is I've various levels of drop downs depends on each
other.Here is an example as you said ,three drop downs of orginfo,branchinfo
and empinfo.If I change first drop down ,the second should populate
values,If I change second one ,third should populate it's values...like that
I've many levels.

Is this can be achieved in POI ?Sample code could be more helpful.Great
thanks for the help.

Regards,
Naga.

MSB wrote:

> Forgive me answering a question with a question please but is this even
> possible using Excel itself? If it is, and you can find out how to
> accomplish the same using Excel, then it may be possible to reproduce this
> behaviour with POI.
>
> Just as an aside, rather than disabling items in the list, why not simply
> change the list of items the user has to select from based upon certain
> criteria. For example, it is possible to use formulae to determine the
> items that appear in a drop down list. This formulae could make that
> decision based upon some sort of criteria; the most regularly used being
> the contents of another cell on the worksheet; as an example imagine that
> you have a drop down list containing the names of al of the departmeents
> within an organisation and another that you want to show the employees but
> you only want to see those employed within the department selected in the
> other dropdown list. One limitation is that drop down lists tend not to be
> dynamic; by this I mean that you could select a dpeartment, then select an
> employee then go back and select another department only to find that the
> same employee was displayed whether or not they worked within the newly
> selected department.
>
> Yours
>
> Mark B
>

> nagineni wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Can we disable list box value in XLS using POI API ?I've created list box
>> using HSSFDataValidation object and want to disable some of the items in
>> the list box.Also it it possible to apply font/colors to the list box
>> items ?
>>
>> Could any one let me know if we can achieve these features using POI
>> API,sample code is really helpful.
>>
>> Thanks in advance.

-----
Regards,