poi-user mailing list archives

From MSB <markbrd...@tiscali.co.uk>
Subject Re: how to extract text contains bullets from rtf or doc file ?
Date Sat, 24 Oct 2009 12:44:23 GMT

Well, rtf to pdf should be possible using iText - but you will have to ask on
that forum, assuming there is one, for help with the library.

Word to pdf will be more problematic partly because you are asking for
features that are not fully supported yet by HWPF\XWPF. If you do need a
fully programmable API then I am going to guess that your only option will
be something like Aspose, but do be prepared for quite a large bill as this
is a commercial product.

Just as an aside, I think that AbiWord will run successfully on your server
- take a look here http://lwn.net/Articles/165871/. As to a fully
programmable API well, it uses filters and they are developed and
contributed by the users. Therefore, in a way AbiWord IS fully programmable,
all you need do is develop your own filters.

Yours

Mark B