poi-user mailing list archives

From MSB <markbrd...@tiscali.co.uk>
Subject Re: Custom Number format in POI
Date Tue, 15 Sep 2009 06:30:30 GMT

I suspect that it has something to do with Excel attempting to understand the
format when it opens the workbook.

After reading your post, I opened Excel and applied a custom format to a
cell - the four zeros in your original question. When I again went to check
the format applied to that cell, Excel had 'decided' it was a special format
that resembled a Portuguese Post Code/Telephone Number/Social Security
Number. So I am guessing - and I must emphasis that it is a guess - that
Excel finds a match for the data format you are creating in the list of
Special formats that are in-built and assumes that you 'really want' to
apply this format to the cell. As far as I know, there is no way to
circumvent this behaviour but as with everything, I could be wrong and
another list member may have the answer.

Yours

Mark B