poi-user mailing list archives

From MSB <markbrd...@tiscali.co.uk>
Subject Re: Too many Cell Style objects
Date Tue, 08 Sep 2009 14:36:52 GMT

There may be another option if you are using the HSSF stream - as I assume
you are from your post. The HSSFCellUtil class contains methods that check
to see if a suitable style already exists within the workbook. Of course,
this will only allow you to re-use existing objects if they are suitable, if
you have a requirement for a great many different cell styles then it may be
the case that you need to look at using the OpenXML based file format rather
than the binary one; I do not think that the same limit is imposed here.

Before taking this decision, you would need to be confident that all of your
users were able to maintain those workbooks successfully. Earlier versions
of Excel can be patched so that they can read the xml based file formats but
only versions 2007 and beyond are able to  both read and write this file
format. OpenOffice is similarly limited to reading the OpenXML file format,
it cannot write files in this format and indeed will convert them to it's
own ODS format if the user opts to save the file.

Yours

Mark B