poi-user mailing list archives

From Andreas Hartmann <andr...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Number of rows with HSSF Event API
Date Thu, 13 Aug 2009 09:24:29 GMT
Hi Mark,

MSB schrieb:
> Please do not take this answer as being definitive Andreas as I have never
> used this API before - the event driven API that is. Logically though I
> cannot see that it would be possible to find out how many rows there are in
> the workbook as the API is processing it, so to speak, sequentially and
> cannot know this until it reaches the ened of the the file.

yes, I was afraid that this would be the case – but I was hoping that
maybe the number of rows would be stored somewhere in the beginning of
the file.

> Having said that, I will try to find the time to have a quick dig around and
> post again if I find an answer.

Actually I have just solved the problem. I'm executing an additional
parser run, only listening for the row records to count them, which is
very fast even with multiple thousands of rows.

Thanks for your reply!

-- Andreas

> Yours
>
> Mark B
>

> Andreas Hartmann wrote:
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> I'm new to POI and started parsing Excel spreadsheets with the HSSF
>> event API, which works fine.
>>
>> But since I'm dealing with rather large files, I'd like to display a
>> progress bar to the user while the spreadsheet is parsed.
>>
>> Is there any way to determine the number of rows before the whole
>> document is parsed?
>>
>> Thanks a lot in advance!
>>
>> -- Andreas
>>

>> --