poi-user mailing list archives

From MSB <markbrd...@tiscali.co.uk>
Subject Re: SV: Adding images to Excel sheet with existing Chart - is this possible?
Date Mon, 24 Aug 2009 08:09:20 GMT

Must admit that I used to use JExcelAPI myself before moving over to POI and
liked it a lot. There are things it does that POI does not and it takes a
slightly different approach to that adopted by POI. Must admit that I cannot
remember how well it works with images/charts as it is such a long time
since I used it and I never needed to manipulate images at that time.

You do have other options of course, and they have varying dgrees of
attractivness, success;

* Aspose have a commercial product that offers to manipulate Office files -
including Excel of course. I have never used it so canno0t speak to it's
capabilities and of course, you would have to pay for it.
* OpenOffice exposes an API that allows you to work with those files it has
filters for. Wjilst I have used it for simple tasks - search and replace for
example in Word documents - I have never built large, complex workbooks with
it and so, again, cannot really speak to it's suitability. There are other
issues with this aproach however indlucing speed of execution, the fact that
the connection to the OpenOffice application can be dropped so adding to the
complexity of your client code.
* OLE. In many ways this is the 'best' option as you are manipulating Excel
directly; therefore, anything you can do using Excel yourself can be
automated using OLE. However, this technique is limited in applicability to
stand alone PCs running Windows in my experience. Additionally, it is quite
slow and Microsoft themselves explicitly advise against adopting the
strategy for a number of reasons - chief amongst them being - IMO - an
inability to trap and handle errors (Excel simply pops open a dialog box and
waits for human intervention).

Good luck. Sorry I could not help but if I find anything out, I will post to
the list.

Yours

Mark B