poi-user mailing list archives

From "Beltran, Justin" <jbelt...@hitachiconsulting.com>
Subject RE: Use cases for MS Word files
Date Wed, 01 Jul 2009 20:23:07 GMT
Hi Mark,

Do you have an examples of how to merge different word documents?  I've seen code to parse
a word doc, but not how to merge different documents.

Justin

-----Original Message-----
From: MSB [mailto:markbrdsly@tiscali.co.uk]
Sent: Tuesday, June 30, 2009 11:56 PM
To: user@poi.apache.org
Subject: Re: Use cases for MS Word files

Morning Justin,

I think that the answers to your questions are yes, yes, no and no in that
order. Do not take this as the final answer however as I have not used
HWPF\XSSF for a while now and the project could have advanced since that
time.

As for other open source APIs, there is not another one that I am aware of
which targets both the binary and OPenXML file formats. There is the
OpenXML4j project at Sourceforge
(http://sourceforge.net/projects/openxml4j/) but this is 'limited' to just
the XML based file format. Also, I have not used that tool so cannot speak
to it's feature set, sorry. Of course, there are commercial tools - Aspose
is the one that springs to mind.

While OLE might have been an option if you were targetting just Windows
platforms. OpenOffice could offer you an alternative. It is open source and
platform independent but quite large to deploy. UNO is not an easy
technique/interface to learn and I do not have complete confidence in
OpenOffice's abilities to accurately render complex documents; at least in
the binary (OLE2CDF) file format. Further, applications that use it can be
quite slow because you will actually be manipulating an instance of the
application rather than creating a file. Finally, there are complications if
you want to run it in a client server configuration as you will need to
create what is termed a 'connection aware' client at the very least.

If you have the time, it might be worth seeing what would be required to add
the necessary capabilities into HWPF\XWPF. I am certain there are others who
would like to see this sort of functionality and would be delighted if you
could join the development team and contribute patches.

Yours

Mark B