poi-user mailing list archives

From jamie <ja...@stimulussoft.com>
Subject Re: How soon will POI3.5 become final
Date Tue, 02 Jun 2009 07:12:23 GMT
First, let me extend my appreciation with the work that had been done on
POI. Let me clarify my earlier comment, we are using POI 3.5 beta
specifically for extracting text from existing documents. For this
purposes, we dont consider it to be very stable.  In certain
circumstances, with the newer office formats, it appears to chew memory
and throw null pointer exceptions in certain situations. We are not sure
if its is due to a bug in the underlying XML parser, but this is our
experience anyway. We are trying to obtain more info, but its difficult
since our system works with thousands of docs and we dont have direct
access to the machine's where its running on. In the end, for the newer
office docs, we ended up having to implement our own text extraction
utility using SAX (see attached).