poi-user mailing list archives

From Nick Burch <n...@torchbox.com>
Subject Re: Out of heap space in XSSFReader#getSharedStringsTable()
Date Thu, 07 May 2009 09:27:39 GMT
On Wed, 6 May 2009, Chris Lott wrote:
> So my next question is, is there something especially memory hungry in
> the shared strings table builder?  Is there anything I can do here?
> Would you like me to write a bug?

The SharedStringsTable helper on XSSFReader is a full XMLBeans powered
class. This made it much quicker to write, but does mean it'll use more
memory. Also, because it's a read-write class (used by XSSFWorkbook too),
it keeps many more references than are needed for just reading in a file

If you have the time, I'd suggest writing a purely sax, read only shared
strings table helper for use with XSSFReader. One of those ought to be
able to process the strings in a much lower memory footprint, and ought to
be fairly quick to write as the shared strings part is such a simple
format

Nick