poi-user mailing list archives

From "Mahesh Ganapathy" <mgan...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: How to read password-protected XLSX file?
Date Wed, 22 Apr 2009 17:17:38 GMT
Can Open Office open password protected excel files? If it can, then the algorithm could be
leveraged by POI. I do not have access to Oo right this moment, hence the question. If this
is feasible, I can spend some time developing the necessary code with some guidance from the
masters.
Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

-----Original Message-----
From: MSB <markbrdsly@tiscali.co.uk>

Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2009 10:09:42
To: <user@poi.apache.org>
Subject: Re: How to read password-protected XLSX file?

I hung back from answering because I do not have mucg experience with XSSF
and the OpenXML file format. However, with regard to the older binary file
format, I know that HSSF could not open password protected spreadsheet
files. The reason is that they are encrypted and the algorithm is not - at
least as far as I am aware - in the public domain. As I said, I cannot be
certain but I would expect that the same is true of the xlsx, xlsm and xlsb
files that Office 2007 can produce.

Just as an aside, I know that OpenOffice can read and write xlsx files. It
also has a programming interface - UNO - that allows you to control an
instance of OpenOffice and manipulate files; abit like OLE but it is
platform independent. It may - and this is another guess on my part - be the
case that you could use this API to process password protected spreadsheet
files using Java code. No promises though.