poi-user mailing list archives

From Stephyn Butcher <steve.butc...@comcast.net>
Subject Generating PowerPoint presentations using POI, current state
Date Wed, 25 Mar 2009 16:57:20 GMT
Dear list,

I was wondering if someone could give me a rundown of the current
state of POI (3.5b5) with respect to generating PowerPoint
presentations. My basic requirement is to be able to generate user
editable tables and charts of data.

Poking around the docs, it looks like the HSLF stuff would support
most of my needs. The only question is being able to add user editable
charts. I'm not sure when Microsoft switched from embedded Chart-
created charts (I think you could always embed images of charts from
Excel) to embedded Excel-created charts. Has anyone dealt with this? I
know that I could generate an image and embed it but then the chart
isn't editable.

I know that in theory the XSLF can do everything I want because charts
are just embedded Excel charts, I'm just unable to determine from
googling, docs, and Javadocs, the maturity of the XSLF stuff as of
today. Is it on a par with HSLF?

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Steve